When in the end, asked by a police officer what was in the gazpacho, Pepa reciting list of ingredients: tomates, pimiento, cebollia, pepino, sal, vinagre… describes perfect recipe for classic Andalusian gazpacho, adding that its whole secret lays in mixing it right.
It sounded so simple and refreshing, exactly what I needed after two hot hours of Spanish passion and drama.
This post is kicking off Escapes Month, featuring international cuisines on The Kitchn. Hop over there to see it.
To prepare Gazpacho Andaluz you will need:
* 2 thick slices of day-old country bread, crusts removed and cut into small pieces
* 1.5 to 2lb ripest, sweetest, most flavorful tomatoes, quartered
* 2 Tbsp aged sherry vinegar
* ½ cup fragrant extra-virgin olive oil
* ¼ cup bottled spring water,
* 2 small garlic cloves, minced
* pinch of ground cumin and pinch of cayenne pepper(optional)
* sea salt
* 1 firm medium-sized cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
* 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
* 1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
* ½ small red or Spanish onion, peeled and chopped
save small amounts of bell peppers, onions and tomatoes.
1. Place the bread in a large bowl, drizzle with some olive oil and squeeze out juice from one tomato over it. Add 1tsp of sherry vinegar and mix it well with your fingers. Set aside, for at least 10 minutes.
2. Transfer the bread mixture to a food processor and add minced garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper(if using) and salt. Process until very smooth.
3.Add half of the tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, onions, generous pinch of salt and ¼ cup of olive oil; process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside. Repeat with another batch of vegetables and olive oil. You can also pass the soup through a sieve, but I don’t find it necessary.
4. Add some of the remaining sherry vinegar, salt and spring water. Taste and adjust amounts of each to your liking.
5. Chill for at least 3 hours.
divide between chilled soup bowls, prepare small dishes of chopped peppers, onions and tomatoes for garnish. Add side dish of olive oil for drizzling and some good crusty bread.